At Northern Hills we try to keep things simple and uncomplicated. As a non-denominational church we have people from many faith traditions who call Northern Hills home. But we use the Bible as our only rule and guide to faith. We try to follow the Bible with the best of our ability without confusing things with a lot of man-made traditions. We don’t claim to be perfect, but we passionately pursue the one who is, and try to model our church after His will. We don’t claim to know all, but we do work at helping people know the one who does.
- The Bible: We believe the Bible is God's inspired Word and was given to provide instruction for what we should believe and how we should live our lives. We believe, without reservation, that the Bible is accurate and reliable, was written under the direct inspiration from God, and is completely authoritative for all Christians. (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:19 - 21)
- God: We believe that there is one true God, the creator of the universe, who eternally exists in three persons; Father , Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 1:1, 14; John 14:26; 1 Peter 1:2)
- Jesus Christ: We believe that Jesus was God's only begotten Son, was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, voluntarily died on the cross for our sins, and was bodily raised from the dead. He ascended into heaven and now sits at the right hand of the Father and acts as an intermediary on our behalf. One day, Jesus will return to earth and initiate the consummation of human history. (John 1:1 - 18; Acts 2:22 - 41; Philippians 2:1 -11)
- The Holy Spirit: We believe that the Holy Spirit is God's personal presence that provides power to overcome sin, provides insight into Scripture, as well as personal direction in life. All believers are given the gift of the Holy Spirit at conversion, and through the Holy Spirit's presence and power one is enabled to attain spiritual maturity in Christ. Through the Holy Spirit each person in the body is given certain gifts they are to use in ministry. (Luke 11:13; John 16:13; Acts 1:8, 2:38; Romans 8:11)
- Mankind: We believe that a human being's central purpose for existence is to know and have a close and personal relationship with God. Originally created for that purpose, humans defied God, choosing to go their own independent way, and were thus alienated from God. This "fall" took place at the beginning of human history, and all individuals since have suffered these consequences and are in need of His forgiveness and mercy. A person can be forgiven by God and have that close, personal relationship restored by believing that Jesus is God's son, repenting of their sin, confessing their faith in God's power to save them, and by being immersed for the remission of their sins. (John 3:16; Acts 2:38; Romans 3:23, 10:9; 1 John 1:9)
- Afterlife: We believe that everyone will live forever after this life. However, where one spends eternity will depend on what they do with Jesus Christ. For all humankind there will be a resurrection of the body into the spiritual world, and a judgment that will determine the fate of each individual. Because unbelievers have rejected Jesus, they will be separated from His presence and spend eternity in Hell. Believers will be received into heaven to be with God for all eternity. (John 3:36; Revelation 3:20-22)